Humboldt Watershed Council
Bill Thorington, President <> P.O. Box 666, Fortuna, CA 95540 707-496-4703 <> bill@TheGreenLivingCenter.com
Humboldt Watershed Council is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization of Humboldt County residents, watershed groups and community organizations that are concerned with the degradation of our watersheds, and the tremendous impact this has upon our health, safety, property, and quality of life.
We believe that maintaining the health of our watersheds is important not only for wildlife and the environment, but for the people and businesses that call Humboldt County home.
We believe that a healthy environment is key to a healthy community. We support efforts to create and maintain a sustainable economy by conserving the resource base upon which it depends.
The Mission of Humboldt Watershed Council is to educate its members, the public and government agencies on Public Trust issues related to air, land, water and wildlife; and to defend this Trust and related private property rights through social, legal, economic, and political remedies.
The Vision of Humboldt Watershed Council is to protect, restore and maintain the natural function and beneficial uses of Northcoast watersheds, balancing long term benefits for human communities and the environment.
What We Stand For
* Preserving the health of our watersheds, for the benefit of the wildlife, residents, and industries that depend upon them.
* Keeping nutrient-rich soil on our slopes, where it can grow trees, rather than in our creeks, rivers and bay.
* Ensuring the long-term health of our industries by conserving the resources upon which it depends.
* Diversification of our industries, to increase opportunities for local ownership.
* A local economy based on value-added forest products, rather than raw logs.
* Restoring fish habitat, and encouraging natural genetic diversity and work for the Restoration of a Wild Salmonid Fishery.
* Providing a voice to advocate for local communities in addressing resource issues.